« Tooth Perikymata and The Length of a Neanderthal's Childhood
Crucified Sister Irina Cornici's Body Exhumed »
September 20, 2005
Dealing with Creationists (ID and Otherwise)
I'm a little late coming to this discussion but I thought my readers who do not regularly visit more main stream science oriented sites or the important political blogs could use the advice in a this morning's New York Times on how to deal with creationists. This is a problem that museum docents face every day and what is good for them will also work at a party or at lunch with creationist acquaintances. Actually, a pamphlet has been developed to help deal with those who challenge scientific explanations of the diversity of life.
Here is a synapse of the advice as it appears in the Times article,
- "Just telling them they are wrong is not going to be effective."
- "Be firm and clear, not defensive"
- Don't be afraid to use the word "evolution."
- Think through and practice your answers to the common questions
- The article suggests how to handle common questions.
- Is science against religion? No, but it is against some religions.
- Is there lots of evidence against evolution? Simply say "No."
- If all else fails, excuse yourself and head for the head.
I would add, if a question is asked and you don't know the answer, don't wing it. There is already more than enough misinformation in this area. Tell the questioner that you will find out or get them to a knowledgeable source.
Posted by DuaneSmith at September 20, 2005 07:30 PM | Read more on Evolution |
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Dealing with Creationists (ID and Otherwise):
» Challenged by Creationists, Museums Answer Back from A Concerned Scientist
New York Times - A nice piece from Cornelia Dean at the NY Times on the handling of the ID/creo-breeds of anti-science fanatics at museums across the country. Of particular note in the article were the Museum of the Earth and University of Nebraska S... [Read More]
Tracked on September 21, 2005 07:39 AM
Sorry, comments are closed for this post.
Send me an email if it is important.