December 04, 2005
How to Stop Rape
In the light of the story that a likely rape victim was prosecuted and convicted for filing a false police report, I thought I would post something I saw the other day on Feministing.com but has been circulating for a while on the web.
- If a woman is drunk, don't rape her.
- If a woman is walking alone at night, don't rape her.
- If a women is drugged and unconscious, don't rape her.
- If a woman is wearing a short skirt, don't rape her.
- If a woman is jogging in a park at 5 am, don't rape her.
- If a woman looks like your ex-girlfriend you're still hung up on, don't rape her.
- If a woman is asleep in her bed, don't rape her.
- If a woman is doing her laundry, don't rape her.
- If a woman is in a coma, don't rape her.
- If a woman changes her mind in the middle of or about a particular activity, don't rape her.
- If a woman is not yet a woman, but a child, don't rape her.
- If your girlfriend or wife is not in the mood, don't rape her.
- If your step-daughter is watching tv, don't rape her.
- If you break into a house and find a woman there, don't rape her.
- If your friend thinks it's okay to rape someone, tell him it's not, and that he's not your friend.
- If your "friend" tells you he raped someone, report him to the police.
- If your frat-brother or another guy at the party tells you there's an unconscious woman upstairs and it's your turn, don't rape her, call the police and tell the guy he's a rapist.
- Tell your sons, god-sons, nephews, grandsons, sons of friends it's not okay to rape someone.
- Don't tell your women friends how to be safe and avoid rape. ETA: Don't give your women friends trite advice on how to avoid rape.
- Don't imply that she could have avoided it if she'd only done/not done x.
- Don't imply that it's in any way her fault.
- Don't let silence imply agreement when someone tells you he "got some" with the drunk girl.
- Don't perpetuate a culture that tells you that you have no control over or responsibility for your actions. You can, too, help yourself.
- Obviously not all-inclusive. Please feel free to add to it in the comments.
I would add, "If a woman is in your bedroom with two of your male friends getting ready for a party, don't rape her and if she is raped don't charge her with filing a false police report just because there isn't enough evidence to legally prove rape."
Posted by DuaneSmith at December 4, 2005 02:49 PM | Read more on Current Events |
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Post a comment